Saturday, May 23, 2009

In the Beginning...


I've been programming computers since I was 12 years old, back in 1970, so I've been at it a long time. Most of that time I wasn't really big on hardware, I knew how the technology worked and all the theory, but I wasn't really a nuts and bolts hands-on type.

For much of my life people always ask me computer questions, but it was embarrassing how little I knew about hardware, PC hardware details in particular. About 5 years ago I decided I was going to make it a hobby to learn as much as I could about personal computer hardware - how everything went together and what it all means. It has been a satisfying hobby as there is so much easily accessible information on the internet.

My current computer is about 7 or 8 years old now - a Sony PCV-RX660 - and it's barely able to keep up with today's software because everything is designed now for much more powerful computers. About 3 years ago I decided I wanted to have my next computer custom made rather than buying something off the shelf. One of the interesting things about personal computers now is that there are multifarious options to custom designing and building a system. This would be the next phase of my hobby, and I had promised myself that on my 50th birthday I would splurge and get myself the best system I could think of. Well that ship has sailed, but I am getting close to getting what I want, so I thought I would create this blog to document the process I've been through and how everything turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment