Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Limping Back to Normality

Well the last month or so has been incredibly stressful with my RAID system problems. Things are looking better now, but I'm not out of the woods.

Last weekend I updated the firmware on my motherboard. Among the things updated was the firmware for the RAID controller. I tried rebuilding the disk on SATA port 5, and yet again it failed after only 12% complete. Using the RAID management software I took the disk offline so I could start the rebuild process again. However when I put the disk online again it did not start rebuilding it simply displayed that the disk was online and there were no errors.

A few hours later everything seemed to be normal so I restarted my system just to make sure this was not a fluke. The system came up and everything seemed normal, except the RAID software showed the there was a background initialization process going on with Virtual Disk 0. According to Intel technical support this means it's scanning the disk for errors and correcting them. After a few hours it finished initializing Virtual Disk 0 and started on Virtual Disk 1.

The next day Virtual Disk 1 was still initializing and only 0% complete. However I noticed many messages in the log file "corrected media error..." Also, the Media Error counter for SATA 5 had changed from 254 to 250 so things seem to be getting better.

According to Intel technical support when I upgraded the firmware it probably corrected some corrupted data in the RAID controller that was causing SATA port 5 to fail. I hope that's the case because it's better knowing you actually did something to fix a problem than the problem mysteriously going away.

I don't know how long it will take to finish initializing Virtual disk 1, but while it's going on my system is running slow, with lots of annoying pauses. This is really frustrating when I spend so much effort to build a system that would be fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment